Wednesday, November 28, 2012

DTR: Check

Holy cow, I passed the DTR exam.  This post will be me brain dumping any advice I can think of since it is all very fresh in my mind.

1.  Scoring
I still don't understand how this test is scored.  To pass, you must receive at least 25 out of 50 on a scaled score, "scaled scores represent an adjustment to the raw score that compensates for any slight variation in the difficulty of the examination."  I guess this is because each person that takes the test gets different questions.  Who knows! All I know is I got 28 points which means I passed and don't have to take it again!

2.  Cost
The test is made by the Commission on Dietetic Registration and it costs $120 to take the exam.  You can purchase a study guide for about $60.  The study guide is a binder containing an 8 page very detailed outline of topics that can be covered on the exam.  I attempted to go through the detailed outline defining and studying the topics listed but made it halfway through page 2 before I stopped.  The study guide does contain a practice test that is available on paper and online.  You are able to take the online test 3 times. 

Although the paper and online tests have all the same questions, it is helpful.  You are able to see the style of questions asked and also can become comfortable taking the test on a computer since that is what you do for the real exam. It's up to you if this is worth the extra cost.  Personally, I wanted to take the test knowing I had exhausted all resources so purchasing the study guide gave me a better piece of mind.  I think it is worth it though.

3.  Preparation
Again, you can use the CDR study guide.  I also had a study guide made by a student, found here.  I basically used both and was able to pass.  Plus I made about 500 flashcards. I was really concerned I wouldn't remember information I learned in school since I graduated 5 months ago.  However, when you know something well it should be able to stick with you for a long period of time.  You may be asking yourself what to study and the answer I'm afraid is EVERYTHING!

You can be asked everything from a basic accounting question, to the temperature of a beef patty, to what is age appropriate to feed a toddler for lunch, to handling employees, to how to remodel a kitchen.  I found the broadness very frustrating.  I have trained as a diet tech at our hospital where the job is limited to modifying diets, taking temperatures of food, ordering supplements, and communicating with patients, doctors, nurses, and dietitians.  They do not have to calculate FTE's, accept food deliveries, discipline employees, or counsel patients.  However, in the big picture this knowledge will be needed for the RD exam so I decided to grin and bear it. Also, techs at different facilities may have different responsibilities. 

So to summarize; you need some sort of study guide or outline to go off of so you know all of the topics you are responsible for.  You can purchase the CDR study guide.  You can ask me about the student study guide I used.  Or if you search online there are additional resources you can purchase.  Flashcards are helpful!  Practice tests are helpful!

4.  Other Tips
I did notice a couple of patterns with answers for questions.  Don't rely on what I say, it is something I think may be true

-Questions asking you about seeing patients (i.e. they have dentures and aren't eating, they have lost weight and may need to be put on parenteral nutrition) with answers such as place patient on tube feed, give patient pureed food, ask about food preferences, refer to dietitian.  Since techs are not allowed to prescribe diet orders, it would never be to put the patient on a tube feed or pureed diet.  You can ask about food preferences, but usually the patient will get referred to a dietitian.

-Questions about disciplining employees (i.e. the clerk has been leaving early or the cook has been leaving the food out over the heaters for 2 hours when they are only allowed out for 30 minutes) with answers such as report to supervisor, conduct an in service, record the incident, instruct/counsel employee in private/individually.  The answer was always talk to the employee personally about the issue.

-Questions about patients not eating, having low intakes, or losing weight.  The answers varied from monitoring through daily weights, plate wastes, calorie counts, and asking about food preferences.  Honestly, I relied on calorie counts, but this wasn't always the answer.  I wouldn't put daily weights since a tech usually wouldn't weigh a patient everyday, that would be up to a nurse. 

Example of a ridiculous question from my CDR study guide:

"A noon meal at a nutrition site for senior citizens consists of baked chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, and asparagus with hollandaise sauce.  To improve plate presentation and appeal, the tech should substitute:

A.  Broccoli with cheese sauce for the asparagus with hollandaise sauce
B.  Steamed broccoli for the asparagus with hollandaise sauce
C.  Fried chicken for the baked chicken, and tomato slices for the mashed potatoes and gravy
D.  Fried chicken for the baked chicken, and broccoli with cheese sauce for the asparagus with hollandaise sauce"

The answer? B.  This is because you want varied colors and textures.  There is already gravy on the potatoes, so having a similar colored sauce over the green veggies makes the plate look rather beige.  Subbing in broccoli brings in green to a plate of whites and browns.


ALSO don't worry about memorizing all of the can sizes.  I just memorized the #10 can, and I don't think there was even a question on that.  There were at least 2 scooper questions though.


All in all, don't be intimidated by the broad amount of info you need to study.  Just do it and get through it.  I found a glass of wine and the Mumford and Sons Pandora station to make the studying process a little more enjoyable!  Take the test as many times as you have to to pass.  I trained as a tech before I took the test and it helped me learn food exchanges, renal patterns, and standard food servings really well.  Once you have this certification, when you get a job there won't be much nutrition learning for you to do!  You will be able to focus on how your facility runs (i.e. the computer program, daily routine, staff, etc).  Remember, you can do it!  The feeling of passing has made it all worth it for me! 

58 comments:

  1. Wow congrats. Do you still have the study guide you used, im scheduled to take my test saturday, but im all over the place

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,do you hdcr study guide for CDM
      Exam? I’m plan to take it this month ..
      Can you send me your study guide for CDM ?
      Email. Helen288@gmail.com

      Delete
    2. Hi, do you stil has your studying guide for passing DTR. Can you email to me at : helen288@gmail.com. Congrats passing DTR :)

      Delete
  2. Sure! email me at murray.shant@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, congratulations on passing the exam! I am planning on taking this exam soon. I have the study guide from eatright.org but I am also looking for other study guides. Would you mind sending me the one you used as well? Thank you! dcolombo@corning-cc.edu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did she send you her study guide? I have some study guides too.. we can trade :)

      Delete
  4. Hello, I am schedule to take the exam in 2 weeks and I feel very disorganized. I am going through the CDR outline and filling in the information. Do you still have the study guide and if so, would you mind sending it my way? Thank you :) sbostw1@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did she send you her study guide? I have some study guides too.. we can trade :)

      Delete
    2. Hey Sarah, How did you do on your DTR exam? I am taking mine very soon. I was wondering if you had received her study guide, if so I would love it for another study material....Thank you:)

      eatgood_livegood@yahoo.com

      Delete
  5. Hi! I took and passed the CDM exam and a fellow diet aide took and passed the DTR exam and she told me that if I passed the CDM exam I would be fine. After reading your blog I got a little worried because you made 500 flash cards!! If you still have your study guide I would really appreciate it!! romanssidekick@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on passing! Thank you so much sharing your experience! I would also love to use your study guide as another study material. Could you please email it to me? mamieep@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am registering for the exam now and was wondering how long I should give myself. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! Congrats on passing the exam! I cant wait til I take the exam, which is in about a week. Did you use the "no fluff study guide" . I have the AND review, and the no fluff is really helpful. If you have a study guide besides that, would you be able to email it to me? zishafi@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did she send you her study guide? I have some study guides too.. we can trade :)

      Delete
    2. No flurry studying guide contain a lot wrong answers . Do you mind to studying with me or shared answers with me for no flurry ?
      My email is : helen288@ gmail.com
      Thx ...

      Delete
  9. Hi! I have the CDR study guide/outline but am interested in all of the information i can get. Do you mind sending me your study guide? I also have the Jean Inman study guide for the RD exam and they look to be pretty similar. Do you think it's helpful to use the RD study guide for the DTR exam? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi ! I am planning to take the DTR exam in couple of months . Does anyone has Study Guide for DTR exam which they can lend me. It will be very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations!!If you still the student study guide I would love a copy. Thank you!
    Kerry
    kbbarbera@crimson.ua.edu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did she send you her study guide? I have some study guides too.. we can trade :)

      Delete
  12. Thats great, congrats! I am actually scheduled to take the exam today, I'm nervous. I bought the study guide from the commission as well (with the practice tests online and outline). Can you possibly send me the student study guide you have as well? Just in case I don't pass :/
    cnbrauns@yahoo.com
    Thanks! -Chris B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did she send you her study guide? I have some study guides too.. we can trade :)

      Delete
  13. Hello! I would love a copy of your study guide as well. Thank you for the help! ashley@email.arizona.edu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did she send you her study guide? I have some study guides too.. we can trade :)

      Delete
  14. Hi there! I found your post to be so helpful. THANK YOU and congrats on passing :). I was feeling a bit overwhelmed too but I am almost through the CDR study guide wahoo. I was hoping you could send me the student study guide. Thank you in advance! :) thejackieann@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did she send you her study guide? I have some study guides too.. we can trade :)

      Delete
  15. Can anyone send me it as well. I need help!
    stephanieekemper@gmail.com

    Thank you all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did she send you her study guide? I have some study guides too.. we can trade :)

      Delete
    2. Mish, I have not yet received the study guide yet. I would greatly appreciate it. My email is eatgood_livegood@yahoo.com Thank you:)

      Delete
  16. Any suggestions on when to begin studying for the DTR? (1 month, 2 months prior to exam?) Also can anyone suggest study materials? I found this outline: http://www.cdrnet.org/vault/2459/web/files/2011%20DT%20Study%20Outline%20Final.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  17. Would you mind emailing me the study guide as well? Thank you so much for the advice! j.isenberg@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow congrats..This is late, but still congrats=) I was wondering if you still had your student study guide, if so could I use it as another study resource? I would greatly appreciate it.. my email is eatgood_livegood@yahoo.com

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi!
    Congrat on passing, by any change are you still able ot email you study guide? would you mind emailing it to me as well I'm taking the exam next month! elymcintosh@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi!
    Congrat on passing, by any change are you still able ot email you study guide? would you mind emailing it to me as well I'm taking the exam next month! elymcintosh@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thats great news.. Congratulations! Just wondering if you are willing to email the copies. isha.mody09@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi!

    May I also get a copy of your study guide? I am taking the exam in two months and would really appreciate it! xobxmacxo
    @aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Would you be able to email me the study guide. Thank you for the wonderful suggestions. My email is annesmith1477@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Would you be able to email me the study guide. My email address is sumitodi@gmail.com. Thank you for your tips and suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi all,

    Congrants to everyone who has passed the DTR exam and good luck for those of us who will be taking it soon. I am taking the DTR exam end of Dec and am really nervous because I don't know what to expect. I work full time so it's been difficult to really get a full days worth of studying. I have a study guide that I started using. I have also been using the no fluff study guide. If anyone can send me copies of study guides or any study material I would greatly appreciate it. Here is my e-mail address Lotus10704@gmail.com

    Thanks guys

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ^ Hey! I'm in the same boat actually and planning to take it either end of December or beginning of January. I took it first time back in 2011 and didn't pass (I honestly didn't prepare well). I'm now taking it second time after recieving a MS in Clinical Nutrition. I could be a study buddy if you would like :)

      Delete
    2. Hi Mariem,
      I now just saw your message. I took the exam last week and unfortunately did not pass it on the first try. I was not fully prepared as finding time to study had been a struggle. I got a 23/25 was I am thinking I was a few questions away from passing it. I am planning to reschedule and give myself enough time to really study the material. Let me know if you were able to take the exam already and how it went. You can e-mail me at Lotus10704@gmail.com

      Delete
  26. Hi,
    I took the test multiple times, and I am tired of taking it. I would thank you million times if you emailed me the study guide. My email is shilej@gmail.com. Thanks a lot

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hello all! I'm taking my exam on March 22nd. Wish me luck! I was informed by someone that took it, that it is very heavy on the food service and managerial side. So I'm really concentrating on that more than the other domains. I'm currently using the no fluff study guide as well as the INMANS outline only ...no CDs :(
    It helps to write things down and practice practice. I'll update when I take it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did it go? I'm planning to take mine on April 12th, and I'm also heavily studying foodservice.

      Delete
    2. Hi!! I passed!!! :D I swear though... midway through the exam, I started to tear up because I thought I wasn't going to pass. It is not easy and there are no straight-forward answers. Just study hard and practice! Don't be overwhelmed by the questions.

      Delete
  28. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hey I wanted to get in contact with this owner! Are you here! I had some questions, how do i contact you.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hey I wanted to get in contact with this owner! Are you here! I had some questions, how do i contact you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did anyone respond to you? Did you study for a month before taking the exam? Thanks.

      Delete
  31. Hey is there anybody here I can ask questions about the exam

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hey I Am taking my DTR exam next month and feel completely overwhelmed about what I should study the most! If anybody could please send me their old study guides or any other helpful info about the exam I would appreciate it! Heres my email 20mrj12@gmail.com... Thanks Miranda

    ReplyDelete
  33. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi, I took the exam a second time and did not pass it :( I got the same score even though I studied way more than the first time. Not sure what study guide I should be using that would help me prepare better for the exam. If anyone has any advice or can share their study guides.
    Thanks (E-mail:lotus10704@gmail.com )

    ReplyDelete
  35. the DTR test is hard but passable. You guys can do it. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi everyone! I guess I will be the guinea pig for the new version of the DTR exam. The components have changed as of this January. If anyone has any study guides that could help me pass, please email me at bdelarosa16@yahoo.com! I would greatly appreciate it! Also has anyone used the Study Buddy 2.0 Guide? Its $160, and I'm trying to figure out if its worth the money. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I bought the DTR Study Buddy. It is very helpful because it follows the new CDR outline. It does not, however, include exchange lists or can/scoop sizes so don't forget to look those up. It was nice to have a study guide already set up. I am scheduled to take the exam on Saturday.

      Delete
  37. I am overwhelmed too. Any help would be great and study guides to use or if anyone has what they used to pass. Thanks. Email: aeagle53@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hello! Congratulations to all who have passed the DTR exam!! I have taken the exam a few times and I am struggling to pass. My last score was 24/50. I get closer each time but I need to figure out how to pass. I feel as though I am studying appropriately but the questions can be tricky and I can not seem to find the "best answer" nor do I know how to study for that aspect of the exam. I have the old Study Buddy guide, prior to the new 2017 version, but hate to purchase it again. Does anyone out there, who has passed the exam, have any suggestions or strategies that helped you? I would really appreciate the advise.

    Thanks,
    Rachel
    rmac2537@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete